About me, my family and anything scrap related

Friday, April 4, 2014

A little update and request.....

A little while ago I mentioned my mum was unwell.

She is still fighting Cancer but I am happy to say she is doing really well at the moment.  We take each day as it comes but she is feeling good so we make the most of the time we have.  We continue to set goals and be strong and positive to achieve these.

On top of this, a few weeks ago I was diagnosed with Chronic Myeloid Leukaemia (CML).
It was picked up through a routine blood test.
I used to donate blood and plasma on a regular basis but had to stop in February 2012 as my iron levels became too low.  After 1 year I went back to the Dr to repeat my blood tests in the hope I could begin donating blood again.
Taking Mum to hospital for Chemotherapy and seeing so many unwell patients, I wanted to be able to give back again to those who need it.
Luckily, by having these tests they were able to find I had Leukaemia.
After more testing and a bone marrow biopsy they confirmed it was CML.  It is in the early stages so I am very lucky and I began taking medication 2 weeks ago.
I had blood tests this week and they showed that my levels have decreased and all going well, they will reach the level the Doctor is hoping for after 3 months and then if the "bad cells" stay away for 2 years I will be taken off the medication.
If for some reason the medication does not work in the way we hope, there are two other medications that may help and the third option is a Bone Marrow Transplant.

So I am writing to tell you this for a few reasons.
My first reason is to ask you to keep yourself well and next time you are at the doctor, just ask for a full check up and blood tests.  I would never have known until it reached the next phase and then my outcome might not have been so hopeful.
My second reason is to ask you to donate blood if you are able to.  Even if you could only do it once a year, it will be saving at least one life.
My third reason is to ask you to put your name down on the Bone Marrow Donor Registry too if you are able.  They may never need you but one day, you may just get a call to save someone's life.

If you are in Australia, here are the links:


Home  




  

www.abmdr.org.au

Home 
www.donateblood.com.au


Thanks for considering this and please remind your family and friends to have a check up and ask if they too would like to be a donor and help save a life.

Jasx

12 comments:

  1. Sending lots of hugs and positive thinking your way. All registered and ready to donate xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh dear, thank you for sharing about yourself, and I am glad that it has been picked up and treatment commenced and I wish you all the best too. and prayers for your Mum too... I have asked about donating etc and as I have had a previous malignancy my GP said I probably may not be able to.. But my hubby does regularly. Take care of yourself!!xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Jasmine, just popped by to see what you've been up to lately, looking for some inspiration and .....well......I am so sorry to hear life is a bit s--t for you at the moment, to say the least. Reading between the lines I get a very positive vibe tho and I wish you and your mum all the strength and good luck to face these challenges. A wonderful message you are putting out there too. Stay strong and I wish you a swift and positive recovery. xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aaah! I did wonder what was going on....thinking of you...thank you for those links ......crumbs! No wonder your scrapping has been less! Take care & look after your mob...old, young & yourself included......hugs:):)

    ReplyDelete
  5. big big hugz to you Jazzie, and to your mum .... always in my prayers and thoughts xooxox

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry to hear of your illness Jasmine....I am not able to donate blood, but my husband is up to his 120 something donations...thanks for the links. It's hard to focus on your own health with a family, but I hope you can find time to rest and renew your body and your spirit :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh dear Jas. I am so sorry to hear of these health problems that you and your Mum are having. I wish you both the very best and know that you are in my thoughts and prayers........stay strong and take care of yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so sorry to hear your news Jas. So glad they have caught it at an early stage. Thinking of you and sending lots of love and positive vibes to you. xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  9. You know I am sending lots of love and am always here if you want to chat! xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so sorry to be reading this news but happy that you were able to find it at such an early stage - good on you Jas, someone must be watching over you. All the best x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just popped in to check up on you Jas. Been a long time I know but I have no spare time anymore for commenting. Such is life these days. So sorry to hear about this & hope & pray for you & your mum for the best possible outcomes xo

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh man I have been living under a rock since having a baby, but I am so sorry to hear about this and your mum...big big hugs to you, so glad they were able to get it early. Thinking of you and have missed seeing you around xoxo

    ReplyDelete